4/1/23 - 8/1/23 on the way to the airport

Everything is packed and we are on the road. Heidi had a fantastic first birthday and we enjoyed having friends and family over throughout the day to celebrate. As much effort as it was to have an open house/ party for her the day before we were leaving both Dan and I felt it was a good thing as we didn’t have time to get anxious about the journey ahead. I only started to feel really nervous the evening before we travelled but my mum, Dan’s mum and some amazing friends reassured me it would be alright and to just ‘stay calm!’ 

This morning we got the last bits in the case, packing cubes are a revelation! I thought they were just a gimmick sold by influencers but they are in fact brilliant. I packed Heidi’s toys in one pack and her food items in another so that they were easy to grab and go for either her or when going through security. 

I asked Dan about 8 times if we had the passports and international driving permits and absolutely panic packed some items just before we left as that is what I do! We have Calpol as Heidi is teething and has the end of a cold so I wanted it for the plane just in case. 

We made it to Gatwick which we managed to time well with Heidi’s morning nap so the drive there was relatively painless! We then made it through security and had a few hours to spare on the other side. The first plane journey was the leg to Dubai which was 6 and a half hours long. Heidi managed that really well as it was overnight so she slept for most of it. The next leg was the 16 hour flight from Dubai to New Zealand, now Dan and I were expecting this to be hell on earth but in actual fact we were really lucky. The 2 seats next to us were free so we were able to spread out which made sleeping absolutely brilliant as I could lie across two seats with Heidi for a nap. I don’t think we will be as lucky on the way back!! Heidi was really well behaved and we were so pleased with how she managed the flight, she just got on with it. She is usually quite placid so why we expected her to turn into the antichrist is beyond me! We had all the usual fears that people would roll their eyes and be annoyed that we dared to bring a baby on a long haul flight but everyone was absolutely fine with it and many waved or chatted to her likely for something to do. We had imagined it would be worse than it actually was just like everyone does! Not helped by people telling us we were crazy for taking a 1 year old on a long haul flight. For anyone thinking about it, just go for it. 

Having arrived in New Zealand we are experiencing jet lag which again Heidi has taken in her stride, Dan and I are struggling more with it! Again it’s not as bad as I expected! Tonight is Dan’s first gig and we are going to visit Devonport, more updates will be posted as we go!














Comments

Popular Posts